Monday, March 10, 2008

The General and his Vicunas

Before i even begin i'll preface this entry with the fact that i've only read 11 pages so far. I sat down to read the first half of the book (which is small and has big words, instead of is big and has small words-that-are-sometimes-doubled-up-to-cram-twice-as-many-together), and was immediately drawn into this book. I really like it, all 11 pages of it. So i wanted to write a brief post, to by followed later by a more substantial one, still on the first half though. 

First of all, they mention the Vicuna poncho. In truth this was what made me want to blog so early... I like watching nature shows and i watched one about animals in Southern Chile and near the Atacama desert etc. One of the animals that was on the show was the Vicuna, which is like a llama. Also, the guanaco. There are also penguins... never thought you'd find penguins next to the driest place on earth, hmm? 

Also, in a more literary sense, the writing seems more modern and... peppy? I dunno, thats a weak word I suppose, but im liking how the characters are vividly described, as is what they do. The General's ablutions... the effort to keep his bath just the right temperature, etc. The description on the back of the book jacket seems almost like the journey down the river in Apocalypse Now... Im very much looking forward to it. 

2 comments:

lparisotto said...

I haven't read too much either, but I'm also more open towards this book due to its physical properties and layout.

Vicunas must be like alpacas, which I don't know how to spell correctly. Relation of the llama family, and quite funny looking creatures if you ask me, but also entertaining out in the wild. Good luck reading the rest of this book.

Jon said...

Oh, and alpacas are quite tasty, I thought I'd add! :)